Saturday, July 21, 2012

Independence day at our beloved Doe Bay!

In my brief time back home Ayla and I made our traditional trip to Doe Bay.



Sweet, sweet Doe Bay. 
Home of my twenty-second birthday celebration and pre-Norway resting spot.


Landed a cozy campsite on the water.



We enjoyed a long evening in bathing pools with a view of the islands.


Followed by a loooong dinner in the Doe Bay Cafe.


Probably one of my favorite restaurants of all time.
We were joined by some local friends.

Vegetables from the garden. Fresh fish from the sea. Fruit of the island.


 

The Eats:

Arugula cherry salad with pickles onions and goat cheese.
Fresh Salmon.
Garlic, artichoke, pine nut and roasted shallot pizza.

Wine.

Salted chocolate mousse. 
Greek yogurt custard.






Best meal I've had all year.


Followed by skinny dipping and a twelve hour sleep under a fat full moon.


Woke up late in the morning to a sleepy Ayla asking
"Rach, were YOU with me when I got my backpack fixed in Denmark?"

Yes. Yes I was.
I love Ayla. We have the best adventures.


Sunshine. Sails. Soaking. Sauna. Sweet. 


Oh, Doe Bay does breakfasts too. 
Looooooove.


Brioche french toast filled with sweet goat cheese and pecans, 
smothered in strawberry rhubarb compote.

And blood orange mimosas.

Happy sister date.


Ferry home. 



I didn't know how much I had missed the San Juan Islands.


Returned to Bellingham and met up with the folks.
We celebrated Independence Day the traditional way.
Beer and fireworks.

Surrounded on all sides by drunken neighbors blowing up stuff in their front yards. 

Glad to be back in the states. 


The neighbors also set off beautiful floating lanterns all night long.

A huge orange moon rose up from the lake and presided over the explosions.


We drove to Grandma Janet's and watched the city fireworks from her porch.


Favorite quote of the evening:
"Hey! I am driving! You are going to damn well enjoy this Fourth of July if kills ya!"

Ha.

Happy 236th Birthday 'Merica!

No comments: